Cigars have been enjoyed for centuries, and their popularity is not showing any signs of slowing down. Cigar smoking is a relaxing and enjoyable experience that can be shared with friends and family, or savored alone as a moment of solitude. While there are many ways to start enjoying a good cigar, here are some tips to enhance your smoking experience.
Choose the Right Cigar
One of the most important aspects of enjoying a good cigar is choosing the right one. There are many different types of cigars, each with their own unique flavor profile and strength. It’s important to choose a cigar that suits your personal preferences and tastes.
If you’re new to cigar smoking, start with a milder cigar. A lighter cigar will be less overwhelming and easier to enjoy. As you become more experienced, you can experiment with different types of cigars to find the one that suits you best.
It’s also important to choose a high-quality cigar. Look for cigars made from high-quality tobacco and rolled by skilled craftsmen. Cheap cigars may save you money, but they won’t provide the same enjoyable smoking experience as a premium cigar.
A list of our top 5 cigars are:
- Cohiba Behike
- Montecristo No. 2
- Padron 1926 Series No. 90
- Arturo Fuente Opus X
- Romeo y Julieta Churchill
Please keep in mind that cigar preferences are highly subjective, and what one person considers to be the best cigar may not be the same for another.
Prepare Your Cigar
Once you’ve selected your cigar, it’s time to prepare it for smoking. First, you’ll need to cut the cigar. Use a cigar cutter to remove the cap, which is the part of the cigar that you’ll be smoking. Be careful not to cut too much of the cigar, or it will unravel.
Next, you’ll need to light the cigar. Use a butane lighter or a match to light the end of the cigar. Hold the cigar over the flame and rotate it slowly until the end is evenly lit. Be careful not to inhale the smoke as you light the cigar.
Take Your Time
Smoking a cigar is not a race. Take your time and enjoy the experience. Smoking a cigar is a process that should be savored, not rushed. Don’t try to smoke the cigar too quickly or you’ll miss out on the subtle flavors and aromas.
Instead, take slow and deliberate puffs, letting the smoke linger in your mouth before exhaling. Hold the cigar in your hand and enjoy the feel of the smoke on your lips and tongue. As you smoke, you’ll begin to notice the different flavors and aromas of the cigar. Some cigars may have hints of chocolate or coffee, while others may have a more earthy or spicy flavor.
Pair Your Cigar with a Beverage
Cigar smoking is often associated with sipping on a fine whiskey or bourbon, but there are many other beverages that can be enjoyed with a cigar. Some cigar smokers enjoy pairing their cigars with a cold beer, while others prefer a glass of red wine or a cup of coffee.
The key to pairing your cigar with a beverage is to find a drink that complements the flavors and aromas of the cigar. For example, a full-bodied cigar may pair well with a rich and complex red wine, while a milder cigar may be better suited to a lighter beer.
Here are our top 5 drinks that go well with a good cigar:
- Whiskey: A classic pairing, whiskey and cigars go hand-in-hand. The smoky and complex flavors of a good cigar complement the rich and smooth flavors of whiskey. Some recommended types of whiskey to try with a cigar include bourbon, scotch, and rye.
- Port: Port is a sweet fortified wine that pairs well with cigars. The sweetness of the port helps to balance out the bitterness of the cigar, while the full-bodied flavors of both create a harmonious taste experience.
- Coffee: For those who prefer non-alcoholic pairings, coffee is an excellent option. The roasted flavors of coffee and the earthy notes of a cigar complement each other well. Some recommended types of coffee to try with a cigar include espresso, cappuccino, and Turkish coffee.
- Rum: Like whiskey, rum is a great pairing for cigars. The sweetness and spiciness of rum can bring out the complex flavors of the cigar, while the smokiness of the cigar can enhance the rich flavors of the rum.
- Craft beer: For beer lovers, there are plenty of options that pair well with cigars. A full-bodied beer with complex flavors, such as a stout or a porter, can complement the flavors of a cigar nicely. Be sure to choose a beer that is not too bitter or hoppy, as this can overwhelm the taste of the cigar.
Relax and Unwind
Finally, one of the best things about enjoying a good cigar is the opportunity to relax and unwind. Smoking a cigar is a great way to disconnect from the stresses of everyday life and enjoy a moment of peace and solitude.
Find a comfortable spot to sit and relax, whether it’s on your porch, in your backyard, or at your local cigar lounge. Take your time smoking your cigar, and enjoy the peace and quiet. Turn off your phone and disconnect from the world for a little while. The stress will still be there when you’re done, but you’ll feel more relaxed and refreshed after taking a few moments to unwind.
In conclusion, enjoying a good cigar is an experience that requires patience, attention to detail, and an appreciation for the complexity of the tobacco. From selecting a high-quality cigar to properly storing it, to cutting and lighting it, every step in the process plays a role in the overall smoking experience. When done correctly, smoking a good cigar can be a relaxing and enjoyable way to unwind and savor the moment. So take the time to indulge in a good cigar, and enjoy the flavors, aromas, and sensations that come with it.